Thursday, December 1, 2011

Humble Rosettes...

I have had alot of downtime here at The Wild Cupcake as of late...so after spending 3 solid days on the couch watching prerecorded episodes of General Hospital...I forced myself to be productive. In general, I'm a person of contradiction...I hate cold weather but I love winter gear, I don't love cooking but I adore baking, I hate making cakes but I adore cupcakes...and I love a good challenge. I'm a firm believer that we learn by experience and by making mistakes...I'm just trying to make all of my mistakes before I actually open a store front. Cakes are challenging to decorate because you have a large canvas to work with and mistakes are visible to the naked eye. A cake decorator needs to pay special attention to detail and be very patient...two things I struggle with. Needless to say it's not my strongest attribute. Since I've had so much time "off" I decided to challenge myself...I saw a rosette cake somewhere online and fell in love so I decided..."I can totally do that".I immediately got to work.
I made a two layer vanilla cake and I filled it with The Wild Cupcake's signature salted caramel...I chose to top the cake with a traditional vanilla buttercream. Even though I was a little intimidated by the rosettes (and yes...I know how to make them)...I did it. I started with a base coat layer of buttercream and then I piped as many rosettes as I could fit atop my canvas...practice makes perfect. Since it was my first...it wasn't perfect...but I'm proud to say that I completed my first rosette cake and I can't wait to do another...probably today...

No comments:

Post a Comment